The Regional Studies East Asia program is able to provide some limited scholarship funding to admitted students. However, this funding is limited and is awarded by the Admissions Committee on the basis of merit. Applicants to the RSEA program are asked not to contact faculty members to request nomination for fellowships or funding.

The cost of the RSEA Program is set by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and detailed information can be found on their website under Tutition and Fees. Additional information may be found on the Consumer Information page at:

The Harvard-Yenching Institute (HYI) Fellowship is for Asian nationals admitted into the RSEA program who show an interest in later pursuing a PhD as preparation for an academic career and who plan to return to Asia to teach upon completion of their graduate studies.  There are a limited number of HYI Fellowships available and nominations are made solely by the RSEA Admissions Committee.  Eligible candidates admitted into the RSEA Program are automatically considered and no direct application or solicitation is permitted.  Applicants who hold degrees from English-medium universities located outside of Asia are not eligible. The HYI Fellowship is awarded for consecutive years of study only, and the RSEA program must be completed within two years.  Please note that this fellowship is only for Harvard RSEA admitted students and is not transferable to other programs or universities.

For additional information about funding graduate study at Harvard see the GSAS Funding Information, the Harvard Committee on General Scholarships, and the CARAT searchable database of fellowship opportunities.

All applicants to RSEA are encouraged to seek outside (non-Harvard) sources of funding for which they are eligible (see below for a partial list of scholarships for graduate study). Advanced planning is often required as the deadline for some scholarships may be before the Harvard GSAS application deadline.

Other Scholarships for Graduate Study:

Note: this list is a selection of scholarships that RSEA students have previously pursued. The partial information here is offered as a starting point, and we cannot guarantee its accuracy. Be sure to refer to each program’s website for current information.

Beinecke Scholarship Program The Beinecke Scholarship Program is open to U.S. students (college juniors) who intend to pursue graduate study in the arts, humanities, and social sciences at any accredited university.

Boren Fellowships Boren Fellowships provide funding for U.S. graduate students to add an important international and language component to their graduate education through specialization in area study, language study, or increased language proficiency. Boren Fellowships support study and research in areas of the world that are critical to U.S. interests, including Africa, Asia, Central & Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East. Boren Fellows represent a vital pool of highly motivated individuals who wish to work in the federal national security arena. In exchange for funding, Boren Fellows commit to working in the federal government for at least one year after graduation.

Fulbright Scholarships  The Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES) and the Institute for International Education (IIE) administer Fulbright Scholar Programs for US citizens to study in other countries and for international students to study in the US.

The Fulbright Foreign Student Program offers opportunities for foreign graduate students, young professionals and artists from abroad to study, conduct research, and/or teach their native language in the U.S. The Fulbright Program for Foreign Students is administered by binational Fulbright Commissions/Foundations or by U.S. Embassies information services. Check for specific information about the Fulbright Program in your home country, including eligibility requirements and application guidelines. The US State Department’s Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs website has general and country-specific information about Fulbright programs.

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers fellowships for U.S. graduating college seniors, graduate students, young professionals, and artists to study, conduct research, and/or teach English abroad. U.S. students must apply through their campus Fulbright program advisor.

National Science Foundation Graduate Research Foundation The U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship awards approximately 900 to 1,000 new three-year fellowships each year to U.S. graduate students in the mathematical, physical, biological, engineering, and behavioral and social sciences (eligible fields include: anthropology, archeology, cultural anthropology, economics, geography, history of science, linguistics, political science, psychology, public policy, sociology.)

Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship The Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship is designed to attract outstanding US citizens from all backgrounds who have an interest in pursuing a Foreign Service career with the U.S. Department of State.  The Fellowship includes two years of graduate study and internships with U.S. State Department.

The Rangel Graduate Fellowship is a program that aims to attract and prepare outstanding young people for careers in the Foreign Service of the U.S. Department of State in which they can help formulate, represent, and implement U.S. foreign policy. The Rangel Program selects outstanding Rangel Fellows annually in a highly competitive nationwide process and supports them through two years of graduate study, internships, mentoring, and professional development activities. This program encourages the application of members of minority groups historically underrepresented in the Foreign Service, women, and those with financial need.

Soros Fellowships for New Americans The Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowships provide for up to two years of graduate study in the U.S. for "New Americans.” New Americans include resident aliens (i.e., holders of a Green Card), naturalized U.S. citizens, and the children of two parents who are both naturalized U.S. citizens. Fellows may pursue graduate degrees in any professional field, or any scholarly discipline in the arts, humanities, social sciences, and sciences.

Truman Scholarships The Harry S. Truman Scholarships are open to college juniors who are US citizens and nationals and who want to go to graduate school in preparation for a career in public service (government or the nonprofit and advocacy sectors).

Additional general information

U.S. students can use to search for suitable scholarships:

International Students are advised to check with the education ministry of their home country/province/city for information about relevant scholarships for graduate study in the United States.