The application process and offer of admission into the Regional Studies East Asia A.M. program is handled through the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS). All application materials are submitted directly to GSAS.
The Fall 2023 application cycle closed December 1, 2022 and we are no longer accepting applications. The Fall 2024 admissions cycle will open in September 2023, and we welcome your application at that time. The GSAS Admissions and Degree Programs websites have additional information.
GSAS requires prospective students to submit all application materials online; no materials should be sent to the RSEA program office. Details of the admissions procedure and requirements are available on the GSAS website (gsas.harvard.edu).
A complete application consists of these required items:
1. Admissions Application
2. Statement of Purpose
3. Official Transcripts (to be uploaded, no hard copies)
4. Official GRE General Test scores (send to Harvard GSAS using ETS code: 3451) GRE scores are valid for five years (i.e. taken no earlier than September 1, 2019, for Fall 2024 admission). Note: The GRE is required for admission into the RSEA Program and all tests must be taken prior to the application deadline.
5. Writing Sample (not to exceed 20 pages; 5,000 words)
6. Three Letters of Recommendation (submitted online, no hard copies)
7. TOEFL or IELTS scores (if required)
Please note that on your application, you are asked to indicate which Harvard faculty member(s) whose work most closely matches your academic interests. There is no need to contact faculty directly.
We urge all applicants to carefully read through the application, and only submit their application when all materials are correct and complete. No changes or additional materials will be accepted once an application has been submitted. Please do not send any materials to the RSEA Office or to any Committee members.