The application process and offer of admission into the Regional Studies East Asia A.M. program is handled through the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS). All application materials are submitted directly to GSAS.
The Fall 2023 the application deadline will be in December 2022. Please check the GSAS website in September for the exact date. The GSAS Admissions Application is typically available online beginning in September, and we welcome your application for the next admissions cycle at that time. Please visit the GSAS Admissions and Degree Programs for additional information.
GSAS requires prospective students to submit all application materials online; no materials should be sent to the RSEA program office. Details of the admissions procedure and requirements are available on the GSAS website (gsas.harvard.edu).
A complete application consists of these required items:
1. Admissions Application
2. Statement of Purpose
3. Official Transcripts (to be uploaded, not hard copies)
4. Official GRE General Test scores (send to Harvard GSAS using ETS code: 3451) GRE scores are valid for five years (i.e. taken no earlier than September 1, 2017, for Fall 2023 admission). Note: The GRE is required for admission and all tests must be taken prior to the application deadline.
5. Writing Sample (not to exceed 20 pages; 5,000 words)
6. Three Letters of Recommendation (submitted online, no hard copies)
7. TOEFL or IELTS scores (if required)
Please note that on your application, you are asked to indicate which Harvard faculty member(s) whose work most closely matches your academic interests. There is no need to contact faculty directly.
We urge all applicants to carefully read through the application, and only submit their application when all materials are correct and complete. No changes or additional materials will be accepted once an application has been submitted. Please do not send any materials to the RSEA Office or to any Committee members.